Thursday, April 19, 2012

Young Ones and Goth

Being fifteen and obviously all-knowing, I feel myself uniquely qualified to write my thoughts about this because A: they're my thoughts B: I AM a young one who is Goth and C: I am the only Goth in my highschool (possibly the entire town) since my darling Elijah moved away and so... for some reason that qualifies me to give an opinion.

I have seen a lot of things about being young and goth, several of which seem to go along the lines of, "i love goth, but my parents hate it, how do I circumvent their will?" While I applaud "sticking it to the man" or whatever you people call it, they are your parents and so maybe you shouldn't dress in the all black and stompy boots with piercings they are likely thinking of. Perhaps looking into Lolita, Visual Kei or a subset of Goth like Victorian Gothic or *gasp* pastel goth. Something that looks happier will likely make them happier, no matter how thrilled you are when you move out, get a deathhawk and twelve piercings.

Listening to the music and reading Dracula five hundred million times is all well and good, but if I'm not mistaken, most of us around the age of highschool are still looking for our identities and when we find something we like, we want to advertise it. If the clothes are off-limits, perhaps a Sisters of Mercy decal for your binder and a Bauhaus bumpersticker for your car (or motor scooter). Maybe randomly quote Poe or Bram Stoker, or say that your favorite superhero is Captain Unexpected and Tragic Death (that's a joke... because what kind of a superhero would that be?!)

That all being said, a bat necklace or vampire teeth earrings are small, cute ways to proclaim to all and sundry that you're incredibly deep dark and not a force to be trifled with! Small touches of darkness like tendrils seeping into your daily wardrobe are an excellent way to introduce Goth to your parents and friends while still being overall the person they remember. Try black nailpolish and eyeliner (nothing too heavy, mind) with a cute blouse and fluffy skirt. You'll still look like their little girl, but hopefully the touches of darkness will be sufficient to help you along.

Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. My thought was always, "man, what is she going to do - punish me for having control over my own appearance?", and the argument of bodily autonomy always seemed to work with my mother (my dad didn't care).

    ReplyDelete