Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Compliments! And Their Antithesis....

Today, I received the most amazing comment (Since the one where I was told I looked like Mrs. Lovett ^.^ From Sweeny Todd). As I was making my way through the hallways on International Physics Day (today, celebrate it) someone I don't know grabbed my elbow and literally squealed, "You look like that Goth from the Big Bang Theory!!" Which immediately made me like this person because A) he knew I wasn't emo B) He mentioned the Big Bang Theory! *How did he know that's one of only four modern TV shows I actually watch....* C) Need I say more?! He complimented me with the words "Goth" and "The Big Bang Theory" (!!!) After he left I realized he might have meant the OTHER Goth, Sarah (Not that anyone cares) from the Big Bang Theory...  This is the one I hope he was talking about... (on a side note, I have no tattoos or facial piercings, and my breasts do not ever make that much of an appearance in public. Still, the sentiment is appreciated, random boy from hallway)

I have recieved a number of compliments, my favorite among them being "Goth Poppins" (which was meant as an insult from a friend, but I rather like it) "This is my friend, Morticia Addams" (a best friend introducing me to another friend) "You look like Sweeny Todd's friend... *snaps fingers* Mrs. Lovett" (random stranger) and possibly the best of all... my grandmother told me I reminded her of a singer from the Eighties. Yes, Robert Smith. I think I died right there and was reanimated as the happiest of goths.

On the flipside, however, I have recieved quite the number of negative comments, including "Try looking nice when you come to school", "Why is your hair purple? It looks like you're a grape" and "your eyebrows are hideous." Amongst the many more generic derogatory comments I hear on an almost-daily basis. However, given that if it REALLY bothered me, I'd tone down my appearance, I'm not sure why people get so bothered about being insulted by someone who quite often doesn't know them.

Does anybody want to comment with a favorite compliment or particularly imaginative insult they have received/heard or thought of and found amusing?

No comments:

Post a Comment