Friday, March 9, 2012

Slight Ranting

I realized the other day that I have a definite More-Gothic-Than-Thou complex. But only toward non-Goths. Toward other members of the Goth scene I am a painfully shy babybat. In this small town, it works out well in my favor, as I am one of maybe three actual Goths.

I do not like mallgoths, nor people who assume that because a band, person or movie is slightly alternative, it is automatically goth. I know I should try to kindly point these people in the direction of actual Goth, and I try to do so nicely, but my patience... it is wearing out.

Metal music, for example, is not goth, though there may some crossover amongst the fanbase. There is a reason that there is a whole other genre called metalheads.

Not that I have anything against doing something not specifically goth, of course, for example I love swimming, which doesn't go so well with complex styles meant to be put on ONE time and not taken off until the end of the day. I just don't like it when people assume that because they listen to say, Black Veil Brides, or wear black, they are goth. Or when people assume that because I'm goth I like metal music, piercings and am mopey.

I now feel that I perhaps have a horrible inability to explain things. Curses!

No comments:

Post a Comment