Monday, May 21, 2012

Book Review: The Phantom of the Opera, Journey to a Woman, Gamer Girl

The Phantom of the Opera: The original novel by Gaston Leroux, was amazing (if confusing for a six year old to read- no matter how much your six year old likes dark things or how good of a reader they are, do not let them read it, they will become confused as I did) and I very much enjoy it now; it's one of my favorite re-reads. The movies and various productions that it has spawned are all interesting in their own way (even the one I did in my backyard as a child *facepalm* moving right along!) BUT I still prefer the book. In case someone is unfamiliar with the plot, it runs thusly: boy meets girl. Girl becomes an orphan, the two are separated. SEMI-EVIL GENIUS LIVING IN OPERA HOUSE. Reunited.

Journey to a Woman: this book was written in 1960 by Ann Bannon about the life of a lesbian in the fifties. She was in love with a girl in college but married a man and became increasingly unhappy, eventually leaving her family and friends to find the long-lost girl of her dreams. The story is by no means idealistic but rather has a stark realism that is all the more powerful. The main character is named Beth, and she makes bad decisions, emotional decisions and is a real human being to readers. I like this book and have read it several times, in addition to its companion piece Beebo Brinker.

Gamer Girl: by Mari Mancusi. My grandmother bought me this book several years ago and I have read it perhaps three times. I like it, it's an easy, fast (fun) read about a girl in high school who falls in love online and in real life (with the same boy!). The characters are interesting (especially the token Goth who likes My Chemical Romance...) and there are a couple little plot twists. The whole thing has undertones of fantasy and art, with the requisite drama for a book set in high school. Actually, writing about it has made me want to read it again... I'm off to do just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment