Sunday, May 12, 2013

San Francisco: Aquarium

We walked down Pier 39 which was really, super cool. There was a store JUST for socks and tights, which I loved. There were sooo many cool patterns and adorable prints, and suchlike. I didn't actually buy any, because it seemed like all the prices were marked up, and I figured I could always come back next time I came to San Francisco. We kept walking, made a detour into a candy shop for my brother, and then we came to a giant carousel! It was all cute and fancy and I of course loved it because it was pretty, sparkly, and fantastic.
Then we continued to the aquarium. I love aquariums. They're quite possibly my very favorite places in the world.

 I took maybe a billion pictures, but here's five. I love the jellyfish best, there's something about their lovely slow pace and the fact that their tentacles never seem to get tangled.

The whole pier 39 aquarium was pretty cool, they had two octopi and a huge tank with a walkway through it, where you went under sharks and rays and other very large fish. An attendant told us that the glass distorted the fish on the other side and they were actually bigger than they looked. Given that many of them were over five feet long from where I stood, I was amazed that they could be or were any bigger.

Many of the rooms had large cylindrical tanks, and those were varying degrees of awesome, depending on what was in them. For example, there were a bunch of little silver fish (I think the placard said anchovies) in one, and they were one of those fish types that swim in large schools and behave as a group in order to distract and defend against predators. Those were really fun to watch.

If anyone ever gets a chance to go to an aquarium, GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment