Sunday, May 12, 2013

Book Review: Forgive My Fins, Fury's Kiss, Lolita

 Yet another book bought for the cover art... I know, I know, I'm one of those people who looks at shiny objects and freaks out. But anyway. I knew it was going to be a teen drama, but with a mermaid and makeup like that on the cover, why should I care? It ended up being the very very classic teenage story about a girl thinking she's in love with one guy and falling for another (the cliche bad-boy neighbor, even!) the twist was this: she's a mermaid, and if she kisses a human she bonds to them, and they get a telepathic connection and he starts changing into a merperson (don't ask me how all that happens from a kiss, it's very wibbly-wobbly) What I liked about this book: The cover art, the emotional description and the plot twists. What I didn't like about this book: simply written, straightforward progression, shallow characters, easy fixes to hard problems. All in all, a thoroughly "meh" book. I'm not sorry I read it, it was a good unwinding, waste-of-time sort of thing, but I wouldn't read it again.
 This is the latest in the Midnight's Daughter novels. I LOVED Midnight's Daughter, was fond of Death's Mistress, and appreciate Fury's Kiss. It continues the story of Dorina Basarab, niece of Vlad Dracula, dhampir, and vampire hunter extraordinaire. She is a strong woman in the beginning of the series, though absolutely not without her issues. These really come to a head in Fury's Kiss, when her vampire nature begins to break out of the side of her mind her father had confined it to many, many years before. The story is quite good, really, and Karen Chance has a writing style I like, so if you've read the other two novels I'd suggest you continue on, and read Fury's Kiss. Warning though, there is an escalation of the sexual aspect between Dorina and Louis-Cesare, so if that bothers you, I would suggest you leave this book alone or be prepared to skip a section or three.
 And then, the highbrow book. The classic. The psychology study in a story. I LOVED it. True, I was a bit creeped out at times, as I found myself sympathizing with Humbert Humbert, the pseudonym of a middle-aged writer who falls in love with a young girl and marries her mother to remain close to her. This book is well-written, emotionally charged, quite deep, and all in all I really understand why it's considered a classic. I will definitely be reading it again, and I would urge you very strongly to read it yourself if you haven't yet, but be warned that, given the nature of the subject, you might find it slightly disconcerting or downright offensive at some scenes, though it is not written i n a manner meant to offend.

No comments:

Post a Comment