Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Book Review: A Great and Terrible Beauty, Wither, Confessions of a Working Girl

A Great and Terrible Beauty: (Libba Bray) I very much liked this book, filled with adventure and ghosts and girls and yes a little romance. A girl named Gemma Doyle goes off to boarding school after her mother is mysteriously killed. She there discovers her otherworldly powers and puts them to use. I enjoy the way this book is written as well as the storyline, but the way I see it, most girls of that era would not have behaved in quite the way Gemma and her friends sometimes did. The tone is just a little... off. But, regardless, a good book and one I would reccomend if you like magic, ghosts and various things of that sort, as well as some extremely humorous moments.

Wither: (Lauren DeStefano) I have not quite finished this book and have just discovered it to be the first of a trilogy, but I quite like it so far. The main character is very human and relatable, as are the others, even though the backdrop of their lives is some crazy hellscape and later a too-pretty mansion/prison. The book is set in a future where humans have doomed themselves through genetic engineering and warfare. The main character, Rhine, knows she will die at 20 like every girl and that her twin brother will die at 25 like every boy. She is captured and taken to be the bride of a wealthy man who lives in a sumptous mansion. The rest I consider spoilers, so read it for yourself!

Confessions of a Working Girl: (Miss S) This book is certainly not my type. Being stubborn, I read it through anyway. If you like quick and crass descriptions of sex, life as a house prostitute and shallow romances with loaded old guys, read this book. If not, back away as quickly as possible. This was a very disappointingly written but quite realistic memoir of the author's days as a prostitute. I learned some interesting terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment