Sunday, September 15, 2013

I'm Back (in Black)!

          As you may or may not have noticed, I've been mysteriously silent for some time. Or not so mysteriously, as I haven't been doing so well, but anyway.
           I have been *wait for it* in Russia.
Yes.
Russia.
           I don't even know where to begin in writing it all down. So I suppose I'll start at the very beginning, which clearly is a very good place to start.
           A few months back, there was a delegation from a Siberian town called Rubtsovsk, which is the sister city to my town. This program was started while the Cold War was still on, to much consternation from the peoples of both countries. It continues to provide opportunities for travel and for cultural exchange.
           So the plan went; fly to Moscow. Spend about three days being tourists, then fly to Barnaul, which is a three-hour car ride from Rubtsovsk. Then spend a week in Rubtsovsk, and go back to Barnaul. Fly to Moscow, and then to St. Petersburg. Spend four days being touristy there. Fly home.
This was the plan. On paper, everything went according to plan. In reality, it was so much more dynamic.
 Yes this is in Moscow.
The sculpture-fountain above stands in what I was told is International square, and it was a gift from Greece. 

I think I'm in love with Moscow. I take issue with the some of the politics of Russia, but I've always loved the history and now that I've been there I can honestly say that my personal experience of Russia was very positive, especially in the cities. I love big cities, and while St. Petersburg has more history and is more western, I really loved Moscow. I actually liked my whole Russian experience, which is saying something, as I rarely find myself liking anything at all. 
          An account of my trip will follow as I feel like posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment