Sunday, February 26, 2012

Music: Bauhaus

(Listening to: Terror Couple Kill Colonel by Bauhaus)
Stereotypical of me, I know. But, there's a reason Bauhaus is the band credited with kicking off the Gothic subculture. Personally, they aren't my favorite band, but I love "Bela Lugosi's Dead", "Terror Couple Kill Colonel", "Double Dare", "St. Vitus Dance", and "Telegram Sam". I do have other songs of theirs in my possession, and I like them all, but I'm not worshiping Peter Murphy (sorry Voltaire). *double points to everyone who got the reference to "If I Only Were a Goth" by Voltaire. If you don't know it, shame upon you.*
Bauhaus, as most or all of you know, formed in England, a post-punk type band (vocalist: Peter Murphy, drummer: Kevin Haskins and guitarist: Daniel Ash), had several albums and are widely considered the first Gothic Rock band. Some even go so far as to pinpoint the starting of our beloved subculture with the song "Bela Lugosi's dead". They disbanded, came back together, and disbanded again after releasing Go Away White in 2008.
I like their sound, lyrics, etc, but I suppose I'm personally not one for all the 80's bands. Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Joy Division, all great bands, and a couple might even make my favorites list, but there's just something about that era that echoes through the music and fails to make me fall in love with them. More specifically, I like to dance. Unless you're a bellydancer or someone who does the stand-still-and-wave-your-arms dancing that my favorite boy did, Bauhaus can be a little difficult to just dance to.
In summary: I love Bauhaus, but they collectively don't top the chart in my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment