Sunday, February 26, 2012

Genna is not Crazy!

"Genna! Your costume today is very cute," The voice dripped with insincerity, and Genna prepared for bad news. "But you'll have to take off the corset."
Genna is tired of people calling her outfits costumes. This is how she dresses, and it has been for four years. Genna also wonders why she has to take off her corset. She is dressed in the Victorian fashion, a time period which was practically synonymous with modesty. She has a long-sleeved, high-necked shirt under her corset, a long skirt that she has to pick up when walking up stairs so that she doesn't trip, and the corset itself is as not sexual as corsets can possibly be.
"Genevieve! Did you hear me?"
"Yes, Mrs. A." Genna sighs, undoing the corset, listening to the babbling explanation of why she has to. Vaguely, she catches the word 'sleepwear' six or seven times.
Have you ever tried sleeping in a corset? "Genna wonders angrily. Genna thinks this is unfair discrimination, since she has been dressing this way for two years in this school and no one has said anything, and no one says anything to the bleached-blond types in their short skirts and low-cut, tight shirts. Genna thinks that her mother was silly to move to this tiny town. Genna thinks that nearly everyone here is small-minded. They have the best intentions, Genna realizes, but they go about it in the wrong way. Taking away the things that make Genna feel beautiful and do not break any dress code simply because one uber-conservative teacher complained did not seem fair. Genna thinks it's stupid. Genna's mother thinks so too.

Genna also thinks she will stop talking in third person now, because Genna is not batshit crazy!
I (that's better, isn't it? -Genna thinks so too) am by no means anything but a babybat, but in the small, conservative town I live in, I may as well be the next most GAF thing after cloves and absinthe. *shakes head regretfully* WHY, small minded teacher, WHY? She is a nice enough person, but full of misguided intentions. Now that she has complained, I am not allowed to wear any of my four corsets to school, which severely limits my wardrobe choices, as there are outfits I could only wear with a corset covering some dress-code breaking flaw. See-through shirts, shirts with tears or midriff-revealing cuts, shirts too thin to wear in winter without something over them. I do not see why people can't all be open minded, or at least politely disagree about style choice. Oh well. I suppose I shall simply have to rip some skinny jeans, paste some obscure bands and sayings on old T-shirts and attempt something vaguely resembling corset-less cyber or tradgoth, for the rest of my high school career... Normally, I'm so Victorian and Lolita/Steam punk inspired it's downright madness, but I have had days I call normal, with my platform Demonias and mid-length skirts. I suppose this my fate, five days a week, for two years... I already want to put on a bustle and rain-proof my parasol.

No comments:

Post a Comment