Sunday, April 7, 2013

Seattle Day Two

First of all, my apologies for the lateness of the saga continuation, I got strep throat. Again. But anyhoo!
First, we went to Pike's Place market. I wasn't sure which of all the amazing sights to take photos of, so I ended up just taking a picture of the flowers. One whole side of the top floor of the market is covered in them! Fresh every day! They're so beautiful, and they smell so good it's ridiculous. So for those who don't know, Pike's Place market is a bit of a west-coast legend. It's a three-floor hodgepodge of shops, with a lovely view out on the bay from one side. There are book stores and flowers and knicknack shops and souvenir places, places to get organic food and a couple actual little restaurants. There's a couple candy shops and a few book stores (I got two vampire books from one,  a used books nook where the books were piled floor to ceiling and you had to be very very careful not to upset the stacks. I actually saw a copy of Poppy Z. Brite's Lost Souls, but it was at the bottom of a stack and frankly I didn't think I could get it out without tumbling down half the shop. I did get a compilation called Women of the Night and a parody book of the Sound of Music called My Favorite Fangs.) I ate a large piece of bread and some raspberries, roaming around the market at my own leisure. When what to my wondering eyes should appear but a marvelous little shop for knicknacks and jokes of a darker nature, called Orange Dracula. The chap running it that day was extremely friendly, he gave me a few free stickers as visit mementos...
 my camera is being extremely funky, so I'll just caption the other stuff and save you from guessing.
 Bauhaus and Morticia pins
an einsturzende neubauten pin Orange Dracula pin- even though I don't live in Seattle I like the shop and its name enough to wear it A Siouxsie Sioux necklace
 
Then we went on a grand adventure through the downtown. I loved so much of the Seattle architecture, but I didn't get pictures of most of it... But here's the cool iron covering thingamabobs in the plaza by first street. Note the fun little swirls.
This is my mother, taking a picture of my brother and I as we sat (reluctantly) in a Starbucks. I took a picture back at her, just to be obnoxious ;) while we were sitting in the Starbucks, there was a very cute couple doing a photoshoot of some sort in the square, I had fun watching them and wanted to take a picture of the pretty little lady in her nice dress, but a) I know what it's like to have pictures taken of you without permission by a total stranger, and b) I didn't want to ruin their photoshoot, especially if it was for commercial reasons... so you don't get to see how cute they were. But it was fun to watch.

Just as we were about to walk back to our hotel, I spotted a fun sort of rockabilly store, Diva Dolls, on first street next to a kilt shop (!) both the kilt shop and the rockabilly/vintage Diva Dolls were very big deals to small-town me. I think cities are just the coolest.



 only the second time I've EVER seen a corset in a store! They were all so cute... I really wanted to buy something, but it was all so expensive... even the Leg Avenue spinning rack (!) was marked-up stuff. So no new clothes for me :(


 My mom and brother were really tired by this point, they aren't really hustle-and-bustle kind of people like I am. Once I get going I can go forever, but they were ready to go back to the hotel. So we did, and spent the rest of the evening watching Cloud Atlas, at least until we hiked down to the warf to have dinner at a pier restaurant, the name of which has slipped my mind. Darn.
This was the view from my seat. It was beautiful!

last (and probably least, in the scheme of things) This is what I wore all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment